Saturday, May 5, 2012

ALOHA from the MTC


Aloha!!! I am on my third day at the MTC and absolutely loving it. The first couple of days were kind of rough; missing friends and family, and definitely not getting any rest the first night!  There is so much to tell already! First off, my companions's name is Sister Garner, and she is absolutely amazing and not to mention gorgeous. We are both short little blondes so its fun. She is going to be serving in Nauvoo, is from Vancouver, Washington and we get along SOOO well. I have already learned so much from her. She is so patient with me and my scattered brain, but we are always having such a good time, and I can always feel the spirit when we study the scriptures together. We broke into song the other day, and let's just say that was the defining moment of our friendship! The other Sisters in my District are Sister Hodson and Sister Beadles; they are so nice, and just so much fun to be with. They, along with all the Elders in my district will be serving in the Independence Missouri Mission!!<<<any advice? @Jason Lamprecht? The Elders are seriously so great, and will be some amazing missionaries and I know I have a lot to learn from them. We all get along so well, and do everything together! Our District Leader is Elder Lunt, and I have been called to be the Coordinating Sister for our district as well.... And the there is a lot of work to be done!
So on our first night here we had the opportunity to teach some investigators. One of them, who's name is Mark was not role playing, but really a is a non-member...so the pressure was on! It was so hard because He already felt close to God, and didn't feel the need to draw any closer, yet, he had so many questions. It was interesting. What I felt was most affective was using personal storeis of how our lives have become better by accepting the gospel of Jesus Christ, and the happiness and joy it brings through our obedience and through God's love. We challenged him to pray to know if this is the religion he needs to be living, and he finally accepted; it was neat. Soooooo frustrating, but really cool. I know that if we rely on the spirit, we will be lead to know how to teach. I also know that this Missionary Training program has been set up to make and build me to become the best servant of the Lord that I can be. That is what it is all about. I'm still getting used to being called Sister, and only shaking hands with ELders, but obedience will be my best companion.
On our second day, it was really neat. I woke up still feeling anxious and nervous with doubts whether this was where I was supposed to be. I said a prayer, and then kept a prayer in my heart that I would feel and come to know my purpose and have a confirmation that I am doing the Lord's work. It was amazing to see this prayer answered throughout the day. The first class we attended was all about knowing our purpose as Missionaries for the Church of Jesus-Christ of Latter-day Saints. I could not have asked for a better answer. The best part is, it doesn't stop there. Later last night, we finally met our Branch President and his counselors. They are AMAZING! I am so blessed to have them as my leaders and examples. President Wenn took us individually into a room and got to know us a little bit. I explained to him how I had been feeling nervous and overwhelmed, and he just told me to concentrate on two things: 1. Loving those you serve 2. Teaching what means the most to you...aka: the Doctrine of Jesus Christ. I felt at peace as I began to focus on those two things instead of the kajillion other things about the mission. I know that he has been called to be my Branch President for a reason. He has already taught me to be humble and to make sure I take each day as it comes, and to commit each day to do my best. If those things didn't answer my prayer, I don't know what could have. I know that Heavenly Father is preparing me for the people of Hawaii. And I know that I have been blessed with leaders and teachers who will help me be the best I can be!
Today we taught another investigator. Her name is Allie. She is such a sweet girl, who is just trying to find a purpose in her life. We invited her to pray to God, to ask to know that He has a divine plan for HER, Allie Miller. She accepted, and hope to progress from there. We probably should have invited her to read from The Book of Mormon, but this is a learning experience; all we can do is learn, and do better next time! On the plus side, she appreciated that we really got to know her, and said she loved how smiley and bubbly Sister Garner and I were...so thats good! I know that with the amazing support of Sister Garner, and help from God, I can do this. I know that I am here for a reason. The Lord knows us and loves us so much, and has a plan for each and every one of his children. I love this gospel so much and I love my Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ. I cannot wait to see what more blessings are in store, and absolutely cannot wait to push this gospel along. Until next week! ALOHA!!
 
p.s. I haven't figured out how to send pictures from the computer yet, but know that they are coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment